From: Michael Peppler <mpeppler at peppler dot org>
Subject: Re: Form Manipulation
Date: Aug 18 2000 12:15AM

Julia Stone writes:
 > I am currently working on a script that when executed displays a table
 > with various information.  This table is the result of a query being
 > executed.  At the end of each row on the table is a drop down box that
 > allows the user to select a "Type."  When the user presses submit I want
 > to update a table based upon what was selected.
 >
 > I would like to know what is the most efficient way to handle this task.

You should probably get a book or two on CGI programming with perl,
and check the documentation for CGI.pm (although you may already be
doing that.)

I'd suggest that you start by trying to get this to work with a single
row on the form, and then when that works you can figure out how to
get this to work for multiple rows (hint - each drop-down needs a
different name, and you need some way of identifying in the drop-down
which row it refers to in the database).