From: Michael Peppler <mpeppler at peppler dot org>
Subject: Re: Sybping...
Date: Aug 9 2000 6:30PM

tscheresky writes:
 > Sybase provides a utility called sybping on Windows that tells me whether a
 > particular Sybase Server is available.  How would I emulate the same
 > functionality using Perl and Sybperl, either through CTlib or DBlib?

Something like this:

#!/usr/local/bin/perl
use Sybase::CTlib;

$error = '';

sub handler {
    $error .= join(' ', @_);

    CS_SUCCEED;
}

ct_callback(CS_CLIENTMSG_CB, \&handler);
ct_callback(CS_SERVERMSG_CB, \&handler);

$dbh = new Sybase::CTlib 'sa', 'dabadoo!', $the_server;
if($dbh || $error =~ /4002|4067/) {
    print "The server $the_server is up\n";
} else {
    print "Can't reach $the_server: $error\n";
}

Examples:

1> perl ~/tmp/sybping.pl coconut
Can't reach coconut: 5 3 5 4 ct_connect(): network packet layer: internal net library error: Net-Lib protocol driver call to connect two endpoints failed Socket connect failed - errno 111
2> perl ~/tmp/sybping.pl xyz
Can't reach xyz: 5 3 4 3 ct_connect(): network packet layer: internal net library error: Specified server name attribute could not be found
3> perl ~/tmp/sybping.pl kiruna
The server kiruna is up

The 4067 error number above is what ASE 12.0 and later respond with if
the password is invalid.