From: Eric Webber <streethockey at ureach dot com>
Subject: Re: HELP, Syberl does not like my interfaces file, but isql does ???!!!!!
Date: Aug 2 2000 2:56PM

my comments and answers interspersed throughout.

Get your own "800" number - Free
Free voicemail, fax, email, and a lot more
http://www.ureach.com/reg/tag

---- On Wed,  2 Aug, Michael Peppler (mpeppler@peppler.org)
wrote:

> Eric Webber writes:
>  > HELP, Syberl does not like my interfaces file, but isql
>  > does ???!!!!!
>  >
>  > Could this be because my interfaces file is the newer,
binary
>  > hex looking file as opposed to the host port clear text
type ?
>  >
>  > here it is:
>  >
>  > \
>  > ## OFA300 on arioch.gsfc.nasa.gov
>  > ##       Services:
>  > ##              query   tcp     (5600)
>  > ##              master  tcp     (5600)
>  >
>  > OFA300 4 2
>  >         query  tli tcp /dev/tcp
>  > \x000215e080b7d1d20000000000000000
>  >
>  > #  query tcp ether arioch 5600
>  > # notice I commented out the above line as it does NOT
work,
>  > # but the hex looking line works with isql but NOT sybperl
>
> I have the same setup. I have a server (11.5) running on
Solaris 7,

     Our sybase server is 11.03 running on solaris 5.6
     and our client is sybase-openclient-11.1.1-1.i386.rpm
     running on red hat 6.1 cartman.  COULD it be a problem
     that this linux open client is from the 11.9.3 distribution
     and our sybase server is 11.03 ?

     Also, I just copied my interfaces file from the solaris box
     to my linux box and deleted all the lines EXCEPT the query
     line.  Do I need a master line in my linux client
     interfaces file ?  So I guess you use clear text OR hex
     right ?  more below.

> and I have clients running on linux (RH6.1).
>
> Here's the interface file entry for the server, on Solaris:
>
> kiruna
> 	master tli tcp /dev/tcp
\x00021004c0a800020000000000000000
> 	query tli tcp /dev/tcp
\x00021004c0a800020000000000000000

> And here's the interfaces file on linux:
>
> kiruna
>         query tcp ether kiruna 4100
>         master tcp ether kiruna 4100
>

> the "kiruna" host is at 192.168.0.2
>
> When you say that isql works on linux with the "tli" form of
the
> interfaces file are you 100% sure that you are really running
the
> linux version of isql and that you aren't logged in to a
solaris box
> by mistake? (sounds stupid I know, but I've been known to
shutdown the
> wrong machine by being logged in remotely and not noticing
it...)

     OH YES I am QUITE SURE.  I am on the box itself etc etc.

> Also - for the "tcp" version of the interfaces file you need
to make
> sure that the first character of the line with the query is a
TAB...

      I WILL TRY THIS RIGHT NOW, thanks !!!!