From: "Robert Banniza" <hunt127588 at home dot com>
Subject: Question about RAID levels using Sybase 11.9.2....
Date: Jul 7 2000 1:15AM

Guys,
	I have a question here and I don't mean to start a religuous RAID war
either. I got into a discussion with my company's data center manager the
other day and we started talking about RAID. One thing led to another and I
told him that I was going to build a particular Sybase installation using
RAID-5 on a Sun E450 (using the built in hardware RAID controller). The next
thing I know, this guy starts telling me how stupid of an idea this is and
the only way to build a database installation is using RAID-1. In the shops
that I have worked in as either a programmer or sysadmin. in the past, we
have always used RAID-5. I did my research and several sites were pointing
to using RAID 0+1 (striping+mirroring). Can someone tell me what RAID level
most Sybase shops use? This particualr Sybase installation will be writing
from some big files with more a lot of reading (BulkStats project). Either
way, I would appreciate any information as I want to know the best way to do
this and the reasoning behind it. I'm looking for ease of data recovery and
performance whilst configuring my RAID levels. Thanks for any help.

Robert

P.S. I know this is a Linux/Sybperl list but I have gotten some great
information in the past from here.