From: jmcallister at dtint dot com
Subject: Re: Solaris 8 woes
Date: May 31 2000 5:50PM

Here's how I got Sybperl to build under Solaris 8 using the Sun-supplied
perl and gcc.

1. Load the Sybperl sources on a system with a gcc-built perl (just
happened to have one handy ;-)).
2. Run the "perl Makefile.PL" step. Stop there.
3. Tar up the Sybperl directory and ship it to the Solaris 8 system.
4. Make the Solaris 8 perl look like it's installed in the standard place:
     mkdir -p /usr/local/lib
     cd /usr/local/lib
     ln -s ../../perl5 perl5
5. Finish the remaining steps (make, vi PWD, make test, make install).

This may have been unnecessary, but I did this to make Sybase 12.0 look a
bit more like a standard Sybase 11 distribution:

     cd $SYBASE
     ln -s ./OCS-12_0/include include
     ln -s ./OCS-12_0/lib lib

Thanks for the tip, Michael.

James McAllister

                    Michael Peppler

                    rg>                        cc:
                    Sent by:                   Subject:     Re: Solaris 8 woes
                    owner-SYBPERL-L@lis
                    t.cren.net

                    05/26/00 05:32 PM
                    Please respond to
                    SYBPERL-L

jmcallister@dtint.com writes:
 > I'm having a little trouble building Sybperl 2.12 on a Solaris 8 box.
 > Solaris 8 is great in that it includes all sorts of goodies you usually
 > install yourself (perl5, gcc, etc.). It's bad in that it puts those
things
 > in odd directories i.e. not in /usr/local. I'm wondering if that's
what's
 > complicating my build attempts.
 >
 > For example, even though gcc is in my path (/opt/sfw/bin) the Makefile
 > that's generated by "perl Makefile.PL" keeps setting CC to cc (the
cheesy,
 > broken one). I tried "perl Makefile.PL CC=gcc LD=gcc" and that didn't
seem
 > to take hold in the subdirectory Makefiles (CTlib/Makefile, etc.). If I
 > manually edited all the Makefiles, I got a little further, but found it
was
 > calling some switches that weren't appropriate for gcc.

The problem here is that your perl has been built with the unbundeled
cc compiler, not gcc, and so when you use it (perl) to build a new
extension needing a compiler it will try to reuse what it knows (in
particular all the compile switches that are needed).

You will probably have to rebuild perl with gcc to get this to work
right.