From: jmcallister at dtint dot com
Subject: Solaris 8 woes
Date: May 26 2000 11:09PM

I'm having a little trouble building Sybperl 2.12 on a Solaris 8 box.
Solaris 8 is great in that it includes all sorts of goodies you usually
install yourself (perl5, gcc, etc.). It's bad in that it puts those things
in odd directories i.e. not in /usr/local. I'm wondering if that's what's
complicating my build attempts.

For example, even though gcc is in my path (/opt/sfw/bin) the Makefile
that's generated by "perl Makefile.PL" keeps setting CC to cc (the cheesy,
broken one). I tried "perl Makefile.PL CC=gcc LD=gcc" and that didn't seem
to take hold in the subdirectory Makefiles (CTlib/Makefile, etc.). If I
manually edited all the Makefiles, I got a little further, but found it was
calling some switches that weren't appropriate for gcc.

Sorry I don't have much to go on. I'm too used to having Sybperl installed
in four easy steps. I guess I'm hoping that someone out there has built
Sybperl on a similar setup and can pass on a few helpful suggestions.

Here's my setup:

- Solaris 8
- gcc is loaded along with all the other GNU dev tools in /opt/sfw
(courtesy the Solaris 8 Companion CD).
- Sybase 12.0
- $SYBASE is set to /usr/local/sybase
- In 12.0 the client software was moved to a subdirectory OCS-12_0, I made
symlinks from $SYBASE/lib -> $SYBASE/OCS-12_0/lib and likewise for the
include dir.
- perl is in /usr/bin/perl, the perl lib directory looks to be /usr/perl5.

TIA

James McAllister