From: David J Iannucci <dji at myriad dot com>
Subject: nsql error
Date: May 25 2000 8:36PM

Hello,
   I'm trying to use nsql to catch deadlocking errors,
and referring to the Sybperl manual on Michael Peppler's
web site.  Unfortunately, for someone who's relatively
new to this stuff, the description of the error handling
facility of nsql is not entirely lucid.

Viz.,
> The nsql() routine will maintain the success or failure
> state in a variable $DB_ERROR, accessed by the method
> of the same name, and a pair of Sybase message/error
> handler routines are also provided which will use
> $DB_ERROR for the Sybase messages and errors as well.

I need to know:

  1) What sort of values are stored in $DB_ERROR?  Are
     they error code numbers, such as "1205" for deadlock
     victimization?  The example code seems to suggest
     that they are English messages, but I'd like to confirm.

  2) What is the "method of the same name"?  Is there
     a routine called db_error()?  If so, how do I use it?

Thanks very much for any help you can give,

Dave Iannucci
Myriad Genetics, Inc.
Salt Lake City, Utah