Michael Peppler
Sybase Consulting
Sybase on Linux
Install Guide for Sybase on Linux
General Sybase Resources
General Perl Resources
BCP Tool
Bug Tracker
Mailing List Archive
Downloads Directory
Sybase on Linux FAQ
Sybperl FAQ
Michael Peppler's resume

sybperl-l Archive

Up    Prev    Next    

From: Robert Lang <rlang at lincap dot com>
Subject: RE: use Sybase::Sybperl messing up CGI ?
Date: Mar 21 2000 10:48PM

Is the SYBASE environment variable set at the System level?  Remember that
the server runs as the "system" account.  (You'll also need %SYBASE%\dll in
your System level path...)

One thing that I've found that helps is to write a little script that dumps
out the environment variables.  That way you are sure.  Something like this:


use CGI qw(:standard);
use CGI::Carp qw(fatalsToBrowser);

$q = new CGI({});

print $q->header;
print $q->start_html("Env Test");

print $q->h1("Environment Variables");
foreach $key ( sort keys %ENV )
    print $q->h2("$key\t$ENV{$key}");

print $q->end_html;

exit 0;


Robert Lang

-----Original Message-----
From: Robert Bresner []
Sent: Tuesday, March 21, 2000 4:23 PM
To: SybPerl Discussion List
Subject: use Sybase::Sybperl messing up CGI ?


IIS - 4.0
NT Server 4.0
Perl 5.004_04 / ASPerl 5.005_05
Sybperl 1.27 ? 2.11 ? ( See below )

We recently changed from a *nix based web server to a WinNT IIS server,
and only the CGI scripts using Sybase::Sybperl are having troubles.
That's, of course, all of the good ones...

With Netscape and IE4-5, I get this output:
         at C:/Perl/site/lib/Sybase/ line 79
        BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at
        BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at D:\intra\enterprise\rel_req.cgi
line 7.
(Which seems to be missing a line or two ? )

The program runs perfectly from the command line on the server.
I've also set QUERY_STRING before running, and still no problems.
Only when the script is executed from a browser does it fail
with the above output. 
The script also seems to run fine when the 
        use Sybase::Sybperl
line is removed. ( Of course, the database stuff fails, but the page
itself displays, instead of the CGI Error page or the above error msgs.)

I tried removing the -w and use strict; from the Perl file, remembering
some very old issues with that and use Sybase::Sybperl;. Still no help.

We were using the CPAN perl 5.004_04, then downloaded and tried 
ActiveState Perl 5.005_05. tells me the version is 1.27,
ActiveState's PPM.exe tells me Sybperl version is 2.11, and up to date.

I know this isn't a CGI list, but I'm hoping someone experienced 
(and fixed :) at least something similar to the problem I'm experiencing,
or can point me to a better place to post.

Robert Bresner
Open Link Financial    516-227-6600 x216    fax: 516-227-1799
Opinions expressed are explicitly my own
Hello. My name is Albert, and I have got
schizophrenia. --Taoist meditation chant