From: "Timothy Nevaker" <tnevaker at powervision dot com>
Subject: Can't connect to database with sybperl
Date: Mar 10 2000 11:12PM

I am running Sybase SQL Anywhere Server 5.5 and have not been able to
successfully connect to the database with sybperl or with DBD::Sybase in my
perl scripts. Connection attempts give the following error message:

Open Client Message:
Message number: LAYER = (5) ORIGIN = (3) SEVERITY = (4) NUMBER = (3)
Message String: ct_connect(): network packet layer: internal net library
error:
Specified server name attribute could not be found

I have tried using CTlib and DBD::Sybase with the following two script
fragments:
	# CTlib
	use Sybase::CTlib;
	$dbh = new Sybase::CTlib $USR, $PWD, $SERVER;

	# DBD::Sybase
	use DBI;
	$dbh = DBI->connect("dbi:Sybase:server=$SERVER", $USR, $PWD);

where $USR, $PWD and $SERVER are the user, password and server names
respectively.
I have attempted running scripts on two separate machines with Sybase
installed, and
both report the same error. I have attempted to connect to the default
server as well as using the name of the server that hosts my database. The
perl module does not appear to be able to recognize the server names. I
would appreciate any help that anybody can offer.
Thanks,
Tim Nevaker
PowerVision Corporation
tnevaker@powervision.com