From: Michael Peppler <mpeppler at peppler dot org>
Subject: Re: Sybase Error
Date: Mar 3 2000 6:17PM

TISO, Marcello, GCM writes:
 > Hello,
 >
 > I am running Perl5 with sybperl 2.11 and I ( and others) have been recently
 >
 > getting the following error message when trying to connect to Sybase
 > server.
 >
 >     Cannot find the requested character set in Syscharsets:  name =
 > 'cp850'.
 >
 > Seems to be a "handshake" problem between sybperl and Sybase.
 > Any idea on what may have caused this and how I might go about changing it?

The default client charset is cp850 (windows, typically) but your
SysAdmin or DBA hasn't loaded that charset on teh server (presumably
running on some Unix box).

You can either tell the client that you are using 'iso_1' for the
charset (this is done in the ct_connect()/new() call for CTlib, or via
the DBSETLCHARSET() call in DBlib) or ask your friendly DBA or
SysAdmin type person to load cp850 on the server (via sybinit or
sybsetup).