From: "Colm O' Flaherty" <colm_o_flaherty at hotmail dot com>
Subject: Re: avoiding the cross-product
Date: Feb 22 2000 9:13AM

If the second database is structured similarly to the Sybase database, u can
either use a tool such as Embarcaderos "dbArtisan" or Sybases "Powerbuilder"
to pipe the data from one to the other.  If the table structures are
dissimilar, u could always bcp out the data from the Sybase database into
files on the file system, and then manipulate these files into something u
can import into the second database.

Something u need to watch out for is the level of denormalistion of the
second database.. this accounts for the redundancy u were talking about: if
u do a select from a single table, and u get repeated data in the results,
the table is not fully denormalised.. (There are a few different levels of
denormalisation.. invented by the Gods of relational database theory.. Boyce
Codd and Friends)

If the level of denormalisation of the two databases is different, u will
have to write select statements in the first database to get the data to the
required granularity for the second database.  (Aggregating or joining as
required)

Hope this helps.

Colm