From: "Dan J Urist" <durist at evergreen-funds dot com>
Subject: Client library problem?
Date: Feb 15 2000 6:08PM

I recently installed the free version of ASE for Linux on a stock RedHat 6.1
system. The installation went fine, and I am using the database in production
for a troubleticket system written in perl using DBD::Sybase (this is GPL'd
freeware called "MeterMaid", available at
http://www.world.std.com/~durist/perl/metermaid if anyone's interested).

I am also running the "mon" service monitoring package on the same box, and am
in the process of trying to write a script to monitor an autosys database
running under Solaris, which is also based on Sybase.

The version of the Sybase client library that came with the Linux package is
10.0.4; the version of Sybase that I'd like to monitor is 11.5. The interfaces
files on the two systems have different formats, but I entered the information
for the target database into my interfaces file and tried querying the target
database through isql, which works fine.

When I try to use DBD::Sybase, it connects without an error but any select
statement gives me this error:

dbih_setup_fbav: invalid number of fields: 0, NUM_OF_FIELDS attribute probably
not set right at /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.005/i386-linux/DBI.pm line 581.

I've tried manually setting the NUM_OF_FIELDS attribute (the doco says it's
read-only) and it dumps core.

Do I need a newer version of the Sybase client libraries to work against Sybase
11.5, and if so will this break the application that runs on my linux box or is
there some way to get two client installations to coexist?