From: "Farrell, William" <WFarrell at gigaweb dot com>
Subject: Locales
Date: Feb 1 2000 3:03PM

	Hello 	This is my first posting to this group.  I have read through
some of the postings.
  I realize this territory has been covered at some length here
and in the FAQs but... 	I am getting the following warnings when running my
perl scripts.
 perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
        LANGUAGE = (unset),
        LC_ALL = "default",
        LANG = (unset)

   I believe I have us_english, iso_1 installed. How can I verify that?
   With LC_ALL set to default why is it not using us_english ,iso_1.

   Two questions: How do I configure sybperl so it finds the locales?
   I have set LC_ALL to all 4 potential values with no success.
   If this can't be fixed how  do I suppress the warning messages? I imagine

   they will hose any cgi's I try to write.
   Below is a copy of my locales.dat file.

[linux]
        locale = en_US, us_english, iso_1 << added in desperation
        locale = ENGLISH, us_english, iso_1
        locale = default, us_english, iso_1
        locale = C, us_english, iso_1

   I am running Sybase 11.9.2 with perl5.005_03 and sybperl-2.11  on Red Hat
5.2.

Thanks in advance

Bill Farrell