From: Stephen dot Sprague at msdw dot com
Subject: CPAN Upload: S/SP/SPRAGST/Sybase-Xfer-0.1.tar.gz (fwd)
Date: Nov 19 2000 3:42PM

The uploaded file

    Sybase-Xfer-0.1.tar.gz

has entered CPAN as

  file: $CPAN/authors/id/S/SP/SPRAGST/Sybase-Xfer-0.1.tar.gz
  size: 24260 bytes
   md5: 0a0594d810d3f881673787d3af350740

FYI.
Alright. I've finally followed through on  my  threats  to  upload  this
module to CPAN. As a reminder, it facilitates the  tranferring  of  data
from one server to another (w/o using cross-server join  mechanism)  and
has a boat load of options avialable to the user.

The main complaint is it uses Sybase::DBlib. I know. I plan on  changing
that in one of the later releases. But, beyond that, in  a  multi-server
environment this module may be your ticket to ride.

Here's the README. If you want more info then the pod is the next  place
to check. And, by all means, PLEASE  contact  me  with  any  suggestions
and/or feedback - good or bad!

Cheers!
Stephen Sprague

QUICK DESCRIPTION
  Sybase::Xfer transfers data between two Sybase servers  with  multiple
  options like specifying a where_clause, a  smart  auto_delete  option,
  pump data from a perl sub to name a few.

   Also comes with a command line wrapper, sybxfer.

INSTALLATION (the usual)
   perl Makefile.PL [ LIB= ]
   make
   make test
   make install

DEPENDENCIES
   Requires Perl Version 5.005 or beyond

   Requires packages:
      Sybase::DBlib
      Getopt::Long
      Tie::IxHash

SYNOPSIS
   #from perl
      #!/usr/bin/perl5.005
      use Sybase::Xfer;
      $h = new Sybase::Xfer( %options );
      $h->xfer();
      $h->done();

   #from shell
      #!/usr/ksh
      sybxfer

DESCRIPTION (from the pod)

If you're in an environment with multiple servers and you don't want  to
use cross-server joins then this  module  may  be  worth  a  gander.  It
transfers data from one server to another server row-by-row in memory
w/o using an intermediate file.

To juice things up it can take data from any set of sql commands as long
as the output of the sql matches the definition of the target table. And
it can take data from a perl subroutine if you're into that.

It also has some smarts to delete rows in the target  table  before  the
data  is  transferred  by  several  methods.  See  the   -truncate_flag,
-delete_flag and -auto_delete switches.

Everything is controlled by switch settings  sent  has  a  hash  to  the
module. In essence one describes the from source and the to  source  and
the module takes it from there.

Error handling:

An attempt was made to build in hooks for  robust  error  reporting  via
perl callbacks. By default, it will print to stderr the data, the column
names, and their datatypes upon error. This is  especially  useful  when
sybase reports attempt to load an oversized row warning message.

Auto delete:

More recently the code has been tweaked to handle  the  condition  where
data is bcp'ed into a table but the row already exists and  the  desired
result to replace the row. Originally, the -delete_flag option was meant
for this condition. ie. clean out the table via the -where_clause before
the bcp in was to occur. If this is action is too drastic,  however,  by
using the -auto_delete option one can be more  precise  and  force  only
those rows about to be inserted to be deleted before the bcp in  begins.
It will bcp the 'key' information to a temp table, run a  delete  (in  a
loop so as not to blow any log space) via a join between the temp  table
and target table and then begin the bcp in. It's weird but in the  right
situation it may be exactly what you want. Typically  used  to  manually
replicate a table.

CONTACTS
   my e-mail: stephen.sprague@msdw.com