From: Michael Peppler <mpeppler at peppler dot org>
Subject: RE: Using SYBPERL to query SQLServer
Date: Nov 3 2000 11:06PM

Wechsler, Steven writes:
 > Service pack 2 for SS 7.0 includes the fixes for DBLibrary.  And the latest
 > version of Sybperl works without any service packs.  I'm sure Michael will
 > be around shortly to follow up...

I actually replied to this thread earlier today... This is really an
issue of whether the Sybase libraries can be used to access MS-SQL. As
of service pack 2 of SS7 both DBlibrary and Client Library work (with
some limitations, because of falling back to the 4.2 protocol level.)

The FreeTDS project (www.freetds.org) re-implements the DBlibrary and
Client Library APIs and attempt to cover TDS 7 which is what SS7 uses
by default. By using the FreeTDS libs you can use sybperl (or
DBD::Sybase) to access MS-SQL with the TDS 7 protocol.

Note however that FreeTDS is not *complete*, and there are probably
bugs!

Michael

--
Michael Peppler - Data Migrations Inc. - mpeppler@peppler.org