From: Jamie Belanger <jamie_belanger at globalcrossing dot com>
Subject: RE: compiler/make issues (fancy that)
Date: Oct 16 2000 7:51PM

I followed the procedure you listed when I first installed gcc in our depot
location. There were no errors as far as dependancies go.

I mistakenly listed my gcc directory in the initial e-mail I sent out, the
correct location is /opt/gcc/bin/gcc (which is also what is returned by the
which), the location that swinstall deposited it. I altered the PATH to
include this directory.

The symbolic link I created was a link in the default compiler's directory
pointing cc to the location of gcc in an attempt to fake the configure out,
since nothing else seemed to be working. I've removed it in the interests of
finding a better solution.

I installed the precompiled perl binary successfully using the depot method
(after experiencing miserable failure attempting to compile it using gcc),
but there is no precompiled version of sybperl available...

So, given that my path is correct, which returns the correct compiler
location, and I have gcc installed in the correct directory (rather than
/usr/gcc as I mistakenly stated earlier e-mail), my only other thought was
that somehow gcc did NOT install correctly. I'm going to remove and
re-install it and keep my eye out for dependancy errors again, just in case
I'm not remembering something.

Jamie Belanger
System Administrator
Global Crossing