From: Michael Peppler <mpeppler at peppler dot org>
Subject: Re: Problem with ct_fetchable function
Date: Oct 5 2000 2:19PM

Arnaud Fileaux writes:
 > Hello,
 >
 > 	I have a strange problem with ct_fetchable function on my system :
 > 	 - Adaptive Server Enterprise/11.9.2.2
 >  	 - RedHat 6.1
 > 	 - Perl 5.005_03
 > 	 - Adaptive Server Enterprise/11.9.2.2
 > 	 - Sybperl 2.12.
 >
 > 	When i run this query => "select * from logaccess where 1=0" from sqsh
 > obtain this result :
 >
 > 1> select * from logaccess where 1=0
 > 2> go
 >  ticket                    date     heure    operation
 >  ------------------------- -------- -------- --------------------
 >
 > (0 rows affected)
 >
 > but with sybperl for the same query ct_fetchable() return CS_ROW_RESULT
 > but
 > there is no result. And it's the same for all my queries with no result.
 > I don't know why ? Perharps i'm missing something with the configuration
 > of ASE or sybperl ?

No.

You are seeing the exact same behaviour.

sqsh does this (in terms of perl code):

$dbh->ct_execute(...);
while($dbh->ct_results($restype) == CS_SUCCEED) {
    next unless $dbh->ct_fetchable($restype);  # ignore non-data results

    # get the column names, and print them out
    @cols = $dbh->ct_col_names;
    print "@cols\n";
    foreach (@cols) {
    }
    print "\n";
    while(@data = $dbh->ct_fetch) {
        print "@data\n";

In the case of a query that returns no data (no rows) the column names
still get printed. The *result set* for the rows exists, but it is
empty.

Is that a little clearer?