From: Rick Nicoletti <rickn at mpi dot com>
Subject: Re: Handling over 2gb of output
Date: Jan 14 2000 4:32PM

We've had to get around perl's 2GB limit as well.

One of our hacks was to open a pipe to 'cat' instead of opening
the file directly with perl (eg. open(FH, "cat > somefile|")) since
'cat' CAN handle >2GB files (in Solaris 2.6).
Another hack was to parse "ls -l" to simulate file tests (-f, -r, -w, etc.).

Ugly, but it works. :-)

-Rick Nicoletti