From: Michael Peppler <mpeppler at peppler dot org>
Subject: Re: Help! SybPerl script doesn't run as CGI
Date: Sep 30 1999 10:18PM

Pradeep Bhaskaran writes:
 > Hi All,
 >
 > I had recently successfull built and installed a
 > dynamically linked version of Perl,Sybperl on HP-UX.
 >
 > We have Netscape Enterprise Server 2.0 & HP-UX 10.20
 > A. I am trying to access a SYBASE database on another
 > HP system through perl. When I run the following
 > script at the unix prompt it works fine but when I try
 > to access it from the browser it doesn't work. I
 > checked the servers error log and it says:
 >
 > *******
 > failure: trying to GET /cgi-bin/simquery.cgi,
 > cgi-parse-output reports: the CGI prog
 > ram /pfact/ns-public/cgi-bin/sysquery.cgi did not
 > produce a valid header (name without value: got line "
 > could not open interface file.")
 > *******
 >
 > The permisssions for the interfaces file is ok. I
 > checked the SYBASE envoironment variable and it is set
 > correctly.

Are you absolutely 100% sure that $SYBASE is correct and that the
interfaces file is readable by user 'nobody' (or whatever user your
CGI scripts run as)?

The interfaces file obviously can't be opened, and that's something
that has nothing to do with LD_LIBRARY_PATH (the script wouldn't even
start if you'd needed setting LD_LIBRARY_PATH...)