From: Michael Peppler <mpeppler at peppler dot org>
Subject: RE: Remove Leading Whitespaces
Date: Sep 27 1999 11:24PM

Xin_Li@WellspringRes.com writes:
 > ^ means bitwise logical xor. How can I make sense of ^ in s/^\s*//?

No.

^ means bitwise logica xor when used like this:

	$baz = $foo ^ $bar;

However, inside of a m// or s/// operation there are characters that
serve as operators that are quite different from the normal stuff.

>From the command line, run
	perldoc perlre
to read the perl manual on regular expressions, and also go to your
local bookstore and browse the perl section - there are a few very
good books that your should look into (I like Effective Perl
Programming, but I'm not sure how good that book is for a beginner...)

Michael