From: Jie Gao <J dot Gao at isu dot usyd dot edu dot au>
Subject: Re: sybperl on Solaris7
Date: Sep 2 1999 10:26PM

On Thu, 2 Sep 1999, Michael Peppler wrote:

> Jie Gao writes:
>  > On Thu, 2 Sep 1999, Joseph Richardson wrote:
>  >
>  > > Subject: sybperl on Solaris7
>  > >
>  > > is this supported??? I could not find any documentation stating this
>  > > explicitly
>  >
>  > Perl 5.005_03 does not pass all the tests on Solaris/Sparc 7, mind you.
>  >

> Do you have the details on that?

lib/dumper.........FAILED at test 0
lib/ipc_sysv.......FAILED at test 0

It core-dumps.

It was a known problem with earlier (dev?) versions; I heard there was a
patch, which didn't make it for release 5.005_03, but I don't know
where it is, and I'd rather wait for the next release.

In fact, Solaris 7 seems to have problems with compilation of other
perl versions as well.

I wonder why the perl people haven't released a version that works
with Sol7, an important platform.

> I've been a little wary of 5.005_03, so I haven't installed it here...

I had to revert to 5.005_02 on a 2.6 box, and mount it to the sol7 box.

> Also - are you running in 32bit or 64bit mode (I'm in 32bit mode here)

32bit.

Cheers,

Jie