From: Simon Haven <Simon dot Haven at wdr dot com>
Subject: Re: Transactions
Date: Aug 27 1999 2:41PM

Maybe so the author could quickly grep out the SQL from the script for some reason?
Just a guess.

Begin forwarded message:

From: John_McCarthy@WellspringRes.com
To: SybPerl Discussion List
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 1999 10:23:26 -0400
Sender: owner-SYBPERL-L@listproc.net

	Please excuse me for interrupting, but why would one want to type in
all those extra spaces and @'s only to have the perl substitute operator
immediately remove them?  What am I missing?
	Jack

> Subject:	Re: Transactions
> In a message dated 8/27/99 9:22:25 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
> brad@neosoft.com
> writes:
>
> > >  ($sql = <<"SQL") =~ s/^\s+@@@ ?//gm;
> >  >     @@@ -- begin transaction
> >  >     @@@ select * from master..syslogins
> >  >     @@@ if \@\@error != 0
> >  >     @@@ begin
> >  >     @@@     raiserror 30000, 'OUCH'
> >  >     @@@ end
> >  >     @@@ -- commit
> >  >SQL
> >
> >  MOTHER, MARY and JOSEPH.  *w*h*a*a*a*a*a*a*t* is this, and why do you
> do
> >  it?  W-OW.
> >
> >  What is with the number of '@'s threatening to exceed the rest of the
> >  letters by a simple majority?  ... I hope I don't seem too naive to
> bother
> >  with, but I'm mostly not sure of the difference between "@@@" and "@@@
> --"
> .
> >
> The clue to understanding this is in the line that
> begins the "here" document. In addition to identifying
> the bounds of the document (from the next line down to
> the line beginning with SQL), it is automagically removing
> the "   @@@ " characters at the beginning of each line.
>
> This is a rather esoteric Perl idiom that enables a coder
> to format lines in a here document much to their heart's
> content--but doesn't add much to the self-documenting nature
> of Perl code (IMHO).
>
> Cheers,
> Doug Bateman

related financial instruments.