From: Michael Peppler <mpeppler at peppler dot org>
Subject: Re: Transactions
Date: Aug 27 1999 1:51PM

Brad Morrison writes:
 > At 04:00 PM 8/25/1999 +0000, you asked a question way over my head; I just
 > hack at Sybase with Sybperl on a program I inherited, plus some supporting
 > stuff I invented.  Anyway:
 >
 > I can *almost* read your code example, but--would you mind helping me to
 > understand it?  If not, I understand, but I also know that the dumb
 > questions are the ones you don't ask.
 >
 > >use strict;
 > >use Syb;
 >
 > I still don't understand the difference between use'ing strict and using
 > the -w flag to Perl, but this is a low-priority question, I feel.  See below.

The -w flag enables verbose warnings for various problems, most
notably the "use of uninitialised variable" warning.
use strict forces the programmer to declare all variables as "my"
variables, or to fully qualify them with the package name. It also
disables some interesting things you can do with references.

I *always* use both , on *all* my scripts. It's especially important
on large scripts as it helps avoid variable name typos and other
stupid mistakes.