From: Rick Nicoletti <rickn at mpi dot com>
Subject: DBD::Sybase execute() problem
Date: Jul 7 1999 6:40PM

I'm trying to determine if the following behaviour of execute()
is a bug or a "feature".
When I execute:

$sth = $dbh->prepare("exec a_proc_for_which_i_dont_have_execute_perms");
$sth->execute() || die "execute error: ", $sth->errstr;

execute() does NOT return false, although $DBI::errstr gets set to
"... EXECUTE permission denied on object ...".

In other words, executing a stored procedure which I don't
have execute permissions on will succeed (as far as execute()
is concerned) and I have no way of knowing it failed (short of
testing $DBI::errstr).

This seems kinda strange to me.  Anyone else?

DBI version 1.11
DBD::Sybase version 1.17 or 1.19

I apologize in advance if this is expected behaviour, but I've scoured
the DBI and DBD:Sybase docs and came up empty.

-Rick Nicoletti