From: Michael Peppler <mpeppler at peppler dot org>
Subject: Silly Question
Date: Jun 9 1999 5:21PM

Dave Edwards writes:
 > Ok.  It's Monday.  My brain is still in weekend mode.
 >
 > I've been doing some reading on Perl and SybPerl...only to get somewhat confused.
 >
 > What's the difference (if any) between DBD::Sybase and Sybase::[CTlib, DBlib, Sybase)?

DBD::Sybase is a driver for the DBI api. DBI is a generic perl
database access api. The purpose there is to provide a generic,
portable API that you can use to access any database server (as long
as a driver exists for that data source.)

The Sybase::* modules are a closer match with the Sybase OpenClient
APIs (DBlibrary and Client Library). If you are used to the Sybase
APIs (from programming in C, for example) then the Sybase::* modules
will be quite easy to use. They are also closer to the Sybase way of
doing things, and are more mature, having been in development (in
various forms) since 1990.