From: Dave Edwards <ITSDSE at qe2-hsc dot ns dot ca>
Subject: Finding the empty results
Date: Jun 9 1999 4:03PM

Howdy,

I'm sure there is  a simple answer, but I just can't see it.

I have the following code (that I modifiey a little from the SybPerl docs) to find the name of a person from their login.  I have the user enter a login they want to find: $findlogin.  The code works fine, except I want to print a message to the user if there is no one with that login name.  How can I test for the empty results set?

Thanks for your help.

========== Begin Code ==========
# Open the connection and use the correct database
  $dbh = new Sybase::CTlib '', '', '';
  $dbh->ct_sql("use ");

# This is our select statement
$dbh->ct_execute("select  login, name, class, is_inactive
                  from    userinfo
                  where   lower(login) like \"$findlogin\"");

# Print out the results, if we have any
# This checks to see if any rows were returned
  while (( $davetest = $dbh->ct_results($restype)) == CS_SUCCEED) {
    next unless $dbh->ct_fetchable($restype);

# This actually prints the results
    while (($login, $name, $class, $is_inactive) = $dbh->ct_fetch) {
 print "\n";
 print "Login:  $login     ";
 print "Name:  $name\n";
 print "Class:  $class    ";
 print "Active: $is_inactive\n";

    } # End of while (($login, $name, $class, $is_inactive) = $dbh->ct_fetch)

  } # End of while ($dbh->ct_results($restype) == CS_SUCCEED)

Dave Edwards
QEII Health Science Centre
Halifax, Nova Scotia

                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               !