From: Michael Peppler <mpeppler at peppler dot org>
Subject: Problems with CTLib local support on sybperl-2.10_01
Date: Jun 8 1999 11:55PM

W. Phillip Moore writes:

 > Michael --
 >
 > When I deployed the 2.10_02 release, which I notice includes
 > significant patches to add support locales, several of our CTlib
 > applications failed with errors of the form:
 >
 > 1:CTlib client: ct_bind(): user api layer: external error: An invalid
 > locale was supplied in the CS_DATAFMT structure.
 > ct_bind() failed at /ms/dist/dactww/lib/perl/DSPT.pl line 110.
 >
 > I was forced to backout to sybperl-2.10 to recover.

Weird.

Are you positive that this was the 2.10_02 release?

I'm trying to reproduce it here, and looking at the code it seems that
I specifically avoid the problem (that I had created) where I drop the
locale struct in DESTROY, forgetting that all connections share the
same locale :-(

I can't seem to reproduce the problem here, but maybe I'm not trying
hard enough... You wouldn't have an example of code that causes the
problem?

 > These users are not setting LANG, LC_*, or any of the usual
 > locale-related environment variables, either.
 >
 > The platform in question is Solaris 2.5.1, with either perl5.004_04 or
 > perl5.005_02.  The code is linked with Open Client V11 (I can dig up
 > patch revisions, if necessary -- have to ask DBA).
 >
 > Does this ring any bells?  I haven't had these developers try
 > sybperl-2.10_03 yet, as I didn't see any significant locale-related
 > patches in that release (then again, maybe I didn't look hard enough).

No I don't think 2.10_03 would fix this...