From: "Sheree Hemphill" <sah18 at po dot cwru dot edu>
Subject: basic sybperl/cgi question
Date: Jun 3 1999 1:48PM

I am new to both SybPerl and CGI, so my apologies in advance.  I was able to
make a successful connection to my using SybPerl CTlib with the following
syntax:

use Sybase::CTlib;
$dbh = new Sybase::CTlib 'loginid', 'password', 'dbservername';
$dbh->ct_sql("use dbname");

I did this in a perl program run from a prompt (unix platform).

However, when I copy these same lines into a perl cgi program, I get an
error message in return (the cgi form displayed properly prior to my adding
the above 3 lines, now it won't display at all).  Here is the exact code:

#!/usr/local/bin/perl

use CGI qw/:standard/;

use Sybase::CTlib;
$dbh = new Sybase::CTlib 'loginid', 'password', 'dbservername';
$dbh->ct_sql("use dbname");

print header,
	start_html('Variation DB'),
	h1('Variation DB Query Form'),
	start_form,
	"Choose Search Field: ",
	popup_menu(	-name=>'field',
				-values=>['AC','x','y','z']),p,
	"Enter Value: ",textfield('acvalue'),p,
	submit,
	end_form,
	hr;

if (param()) {
	print 	"The accession number you enterred is: ",em(param('acvalue')),p,
			hr;
}

The error that is returned when I try to run the cgi program in the browser
is:
at /var/www/htdocs/helix/cgi-bin/sah18/snp/acpage.cgi line 5 BEGIN
failed--compilation aborted at
/var/www/htdocs/helix/cgi-bin/sah18/snp/acpage.cgi line 5.

Any ideas on why this is erroring out?
Thank you for you help.
Sheree