From: Michael Peppler <mpeppler at peppler dot org>
Subject: DBD::Sybase 0.17 and AutoCommit == 0
Date: Jun 1 1999 11:31PM

Starting with DBD::Sybase 0.15 I've changed the way I handle
AutoCommit off mode.
In previous versions, DBD::Sybase would issue a BEGIN TRAN
if needed, and $dbh->commit would issue a COMMIT TRAN .
The current version uses the SET CHAINED option. When the CHAINED
option is on the Sybase server automatically acts as if a BEGIN TRAN
was issued, and will only effectively commit the changes once a COMMIT
is sent.

However, this change, as I've been informed, prevents users from
running stored procs (or other code) that itself issues a BEGIN TRAN
, so nested transactions are not possible.

Is this behaviour acceptable, or should I revert to the old method of
issuing an explicit BEGIN TRAN?

Comments welcome - I don't use AutoCommit off myself...