From: David Thompson <dtho44 at CBOT dot COM>
Subject: make test fails
Date: May 26 1999 10:32PM

Hi Gurus!

I'm new to perl and *very* new to sybperl, and *very* new to sybase administration.
(whoa, I not be thy sybase dba, however, just the perl/sybperl apprentice)

I've installed perl 5.005_03 and sybperl 2.10_02.  When I ran 'make test' for perl,
everything works fine, but when I ran 'make test' for sybperl, it fails.  The message
says,

[blahblahblah]
Sybase error: Server name not found in interface file.
Can't call method "sql" on an undefined value at t/bcp.t line 49.
[blahblahblah]

Ok, here goes my stupid question(s),  the file $SYBASE/interfaces
file clearly shows the name specified in the $DSQUERY environment
variable, and I can correctly startup and run an isql with my $DSQUERY
and $DBUSER settings.  What does this error message really mean?
If anyone has a quickie answer, please help me.  If its complicated, and
you're going to tell me to seek out the local sybase dba folks (arrggghh!),
ok, then I'll venture forth, risk life and political limb and ask someone here.

What could be the problem? ...besides my limited knowledge, that is :-(,
which I'm working hard to correct.

Also, say one knows SQL fairly well, and even knows some Oracle and Informix,
and a bit of Unify, where is the best place to go to learn about Sybase?  Can
anyone recommend and 3rd party books/websites, etc.  Do I *need* the
manuals... ?

Thanks for the help!

David Thompson
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               !