From: "W dot Phillip Moore" <wpm at ms dot com>
Subject: perl (not DB_File.so) linked with -ldb on IRIX 6.5, breaking sybperl
Date: May 24 1999 5:34PM

>>>>> "Michael" == Michael Peppler  writes:

Michael> This issue surfaced with DEC Unix 3.x a couple of years
Michael> ago. I've contacted P5P and Paul Marquess about this, but
Michael> never got a satisfactory answer.

Michael> On linux it's even worse as -lndbm *also* has dbopen(), and
Michael> is also linked in by default (and is also not needed).

Michael> And that means that the default perl binary shipped on linux
Michael> can't be used to build Sybase::DBlib.

Michael> My argument to P5P was that it really isn't necessary to
Michael> include *any* libraries to the perl ld command that are
Michael> actually used only for external modules, but that seems to
Michael> have fallen on deaf ears. I really haven't had the time (or
Michael> the energy!) to hack Configure and come up with a patch that
Michael> P5P might accept.

Hacking Configure is not for the faint of heart.  That has to be the
single most complex piece of Bourne shell scripting in the history of
UNIX.

But, the issue is very real.  Configure, for the sake of building some
of the extensions (DB_File, GDBM_File, etc) puts a lot of compile
options into the global values used by perl as well.  This is very
wrong, however you look at it.

sybperl is the victim in this case.