From: Michael Peppler <mpeppler at peppler dot org>
Subject: perl (not DB_File.so) linked with -ldb on IRIX 6.5, breaking sybperl
Date: May 24 1999 4:59PM

W. Phillip Moore writes:

 > The following is true for any perl release after 5.00404 (and probably
 > some before -- its an issue with Configure that's been around a
 > while).

This issue surfaced with DEC Unix 3.x a couple of years ago. I've
contacted P5P and Paul Marquess about this, but never got a
satisfactory answer.

On linux it's even worse as -lndbm *also* has dbopen(), and is also
linked in by default (and is also not needed).

And that means that the default perl binary shipped on linux can't be
used to build Sybase::DBlib.

My argument to P5P was that it really isn't necessary to include *any*
libraries to the perl ld command that are actually used only for
external modules, but that seems to have fallen on deaf ears. I really
haven't had the time (or the energy!) to hack Configure and come up
with a patch that P5P might accept.