From: Michael Peppler <mpeppler at peppler dot org>
Subject: ANNOUNCE: DBD::Sybase 0.15
Date: May 17 1999 6:16AM

    DBD-Sybase-0.15.tar.gz

has entered CPAN as

  file: $CPAN/authors/id/MEWP/DBD-Sybase-0.15.tar.gz
  size: 46239 bytes
   md5: aafbef50be96afe3daae375856ab9c4d

DBD::Sybase 0.15 is a semi-experimental release, so use with care.

I've changed the AutoCommit = 0 mode to set the CHAINED mode to on,
instead of explicitly generating a new transaction. This appears to work
fine, and reduces the traffic somewhat. This will however NOT work
with pre-System 10 servers, and will probably not work against
Microsoft servers.

I've added a new Sybase specific database handle attribute called
syb_err_handler. This takes a CODEREF, and lets you specify a callback
that gets called when Sybase notifies the client of an error (or warning)
condition. This allows the program to ignore certain classes of
errors, or two handle certain error messages in a specific way.
This is the way error handling is normally done when using
Sybase OpenClient, and it's quite useful as Sybase sends various
infomational messages to the error handler, such as backup server messages,
showplan and statistics messges, and DBCC messages, among others.

I've finally made LongReadLen and LongTruncOK work the way they're
supposed to (at least the way I think they're supposed to!)

I've modified Makefile.PL to try to figure out what libraries it needs
based on the value of the SYBASE environment variable. This works fine
on Solaris and linux, but I have not tried this on other systems, so please
take a look and let me know what needs to be modified for your OS.
You can still get the old behaviour (ie edit CONFIG to tell Makefile.PL
what to do) by running

	perl Makefile.PL --file

I've tried to make this a solid release, but as usual you should test
your code thoroughly before moving this release into production.

>From the CHANGES file:

Release 0.15

	Added an error handler callback which can intercept error messages
	and provide ad-hoc handling of error situations.
	In AutoCommit == 0 mode, use CS_OPT_CHAINXACTS mode on the
	server instead of issuing explicit transactions.
	$dbh->LongReadLen and LongTruncOK now work.
	First cut at the type_info() and type_info_all() methods.
	perl Makefile.PL now attempts to discover the libraries directly
	based on what it finds in $SYBASE/lib.