From: Louis Proyect <lnp3 at columbia dot edu>
Subject: error handling
Date: May 14 1999 3:47PM

Hi, I just successfully implemented an error handler using examples from
the archives of this mailing-list, which I have just joined. Unfortunately,
it seems to produce a virtually useless error message-->

"General SQL Server error: Check messages from the SQL Server"

I say it is useless because the same exact message is generated for a sql
call to a non-existent table AND when an insert is attempted when the logs
are filled. Of course, there is an error message spooled to the screen
which explains the exact nature of the problem, but I'm wondering if there
is a way to detect the exact error from within the error_handler.

I am using DBlib, by the way. Does CTlib offer any improvements in error
handling?

Louis Proyect
Columbia University Administrative Information Services