From: Michael Peppler <mpeppler at peppler dot org>
Subject: RE: sybperl vs. isql
Date: Apr 16 1999 4:00PM

Adam.Vile@barclayscapital.com writes:
 > On a sensible note, isn't ISQL a Sybase interface based upon CTLib?  I still
 > don't see why it is different.

A) You have two processes - by definition this means more resources
   and slower processing.
B) Error handling. You need to parse the output of isql - in a lot of
   cases this isn't very hard, but in some cases it can be quite
   hairy.
C) Code clarity.
D) Code extensibility. Using Sybperl you can build libraries that do
   specialized operations, and reuse them.

 > If I can get some convincing arguments I may be able to encourage the rest
 > of the developers on my project/ floor in my company to swap from korn and
 > isql to perl and sybperl.

Make a speed comparison. Perl should be a lot faster than ksh+isql for
just about anything.