From: "Ellery, Michael BGI SF" <Michael dot Ellery at barclaysglobal dot com>
Subject: RE: sybperl vs. isql
Date: Apr 16 1999 3:35PM

For one thing -  you are going to have to do a lot of parsing of the stuff
that is coming down the pipe if you just open a pipe to ISQL, whereas the
Sybase package eliminates any parsing since it returns results into standard
Perl data structures ($scalars, @arrays or %hashes).  Basically it handles
all of the complexity of the interface and just gives you back what you
want.  What's not to like about that? -- seems much easier than dealing with
a stream of data from ISQL.

Of course, there are Bigger Issues having to do with software re-use and all
that good stuff,  but that gets somewhat philosophical....

Michael Ellery
Barclays Global Investors
45 Fremont St., 6th Floor #102
San Francisco, CA  94105
(415) 908-7234 [PH],  (415) 597-2352 [FAX]