From: Michael Peppler <mpeppler at peppler dot org>
Subject: sybperl vs. isql
Date: Apr 16 1999 3:26PM

Adam.Vile@barclayscapital.com writes:
 > Something has been bothering me, so I thought I would share it.
 >
 > I am (I believe) a competent Perl programmer and would use Perl for all of
 > my scripting needs if I could. I have used sybperl (and its derivatives)
 > successfully but I can't help wondering why. Wouldn't opening an isql
 > filehandle be just as good? Can anybody argue successfully for my continued
 > used of sybperl?

When I first started using perl with Sybase (in 1990) I initially used
isql as a sub-process. First using temp files, then using a pair of
pseudo-ttys so that I could have the perl process write to and read
from a single isql session.

When I then was able to build the first version of sybperl (around
june 1990, when Larry added usersubs to perl 3.x) I noticed an
incredible speed increase (around 10 fold).
In addition to that, controlling the behaviour of the underlying isql
session is always tricky - how do you handle error conditions safely,
how do you parse results without risk of getting the delimiter
character in the result set itself?

All in all I would strongly encourage you to continue with sybperl (or
DBI/DBD::Sybase).

The technology is mature: 9 years of development and use by a fairly
large number of users in a wide variety of situations, and I've never
heard of any really serious problem.