From: "Darren Sany" <dsany at iname dot com>
Subject: Re: Sybase Query Analysis
Date: Apr 7 1999 1:58PM

Two main options are available to you.
Firstly, in isql use "set showplan on" followed by "set noexec on" and then
your query.  See on-line sybooks for description of these set commands in
the Performance and Tuning Section.  In Nomura you would have to "up"
sybooks in your unix session first and then simply type sybooks to bring up
the on-line documentation.

Secondly a more elaborate details of how an index has been chosen for your
query use the following command from an isql batch followed by the query or
stored procedure in question.

dbcc traceon (3604, 302)

Notes: 3604 - Directs trace output to the client rather than to the error
log.
302 - Prints trace information on index selection.

your query...

To turn off the output, use: dbcc traceoff (3604, 302).

Darren Sany
Ex. Nomura personnel.