From: Michael Peppler <mpeppler at peppler dot org>
Subject: DBlib ErrorHandler question...
Date: Mar 24 1999 12:29AM

Narasayya Immid writes:
 >     Can anyone tell me when there is an database error,    (trigger
 > error, query syntax error... ),
 > for what type of database errors  "ErrorHandler" function will be
 > called, and for what type of database errors "MessageHandler" function
 > will be called?

The MessageHandler will be called for all Sybase errors.
The ErrorHandler will also be called for these errors, but with a
generic message that we don't really need to see, so this is the
reason for these lines in the error handler in sybutil.pl:

    if ($error != SYBESMSG) {
	print STDERR ("Sybase error: ", $error_msg, "\n");
	print STDERR ("OS Error: ", $os_error_msg, "\n") if defined ($os_error_msg);
    }

This inhibits the error handler from printing anything if it's a
Sybase error.

For other types of errors (specifically operating system errors) only the
error handler will be called.