From: "Veena Castelino" <castelv at hotmail dot com>
Subject: @ symbol
Date: Mar 16 1999 10:53PM

Folks,

Maybe someone can help me with this one...

In my Perl program (that uses Perl 5 and Sybperl 2.10) I need to make an
OS call (Sun Solaris) to run a SQR report. I pass the parameters to the
SQR program in a parameter file. However to run the report,I have to
precede the parameter file by an @ symbol. Since Perl uses the @ sign to
denote a variable, how can I differentiate between the two scenarios? Is
there some special character that I have it to precede it by ?
My code is like this.....

system("sqr $sqrprogram -xp @$param_file -f$outputfile");

If I run this line alone on the Unix command line, it works fine. But if
I run it from within the Perl program, it doesn't take the parameter
file as input (I'm guessing it's b'cos of the @ sign ?)

Thanks in advance,
Veena

I know variables in Perl begin with a $ or @.