From: Bill Dossett <bill at bill dot co dot uk>
Subject: Re: datetime funkiness ... more
Date: Mar 16 1999 2:41PM

I've managed to get isql to work (I was using -H instead of -S )
and it produces the full datetime.  I'm really chasing something I don't
understand.  I used the modified it and it spit out the
date and time.  My test program still wouldn't.  I kept taking bits one
line at a time and finally the two programs were identical and one spit
out the date and time and my test program wouldn't.  Then I moved my
program to the same place as and it then spit out the whole
date and time.

Then I got frustrated and rebooted the system... now neither the
or my test program will get the full date and time, only the date.  Yet
shows the whole date.  I'm not sure what user I was... I thought I was
and probably did a source .profile in /opt/sybase.  As it seemed like
xterm window it worked in and another it didn't, I'm thinking it has do
do with what user I am or something but I can't recreated the conditions
that it worked under now.  Sorry this sounds so bizarre, I certainly
feel like
I'm in the twilight zone at the moment.   If anyone has any ideas on
what could
be happening I'd appreciate it.  Thanks

Bill Dossett wrote:
> Hi,
> I've just recently got Redhat 5.2, Perl, Sybperl, and Sybase ASE
> libraries to work with M$ SQL server.  I am using the same Perl code
> application that I used to use with the old Sybase client libs (pre
> release of ASE.)
> My first column in my table is a date_time. When I do a select *
> however, I only
> get a date from this column... the time seems to have dissappeared.  Not
> really sure
> how that can happen, hence the funkiness.   All the rest of the fields
> are correct.
> Also I was trying to use isql that comes with ASE, but even though my
> interfaces file
> is set up, it keeps telling me that it can't find the server in the
> interfaces file.
> xisql doesn't want to compile with the ASE libs... so I don't currently
> have any
> way of testing it with something besides my perl app.
> Any ideas on what I might possibly be doing wrong would be appreciated.
> I only
> do really really basic  SQL programming and I only hack at perl because
> I like it,
> so sorry if this sounds a stupid question.
> Thanks
> Bill
> --
> No soup for you!