From: Michael Peppler <mpeppler at MBAY dot NET>
Subject: Sybperl and RH 5.2 problems aplenty...
Date: Mar 4 1999 3:34PM

Bill Dossett writes:
 > Hi,
 >
 > I'm off skiing for 10 days tomorrow and none too soon
 > as I'm reaching the depths of despair.

That's normal - no normal SA gets to go on vacation ;-)

 > I used to use Slackware 3.2 release with Perl and Sybperl.
 > It worked great, I built systems with it and they worked
 > well.  Then some bugger hacked my Slackware system, not
 > very hard to do as it was full of holes, so I installed
 > RedHat 5.2.  That fixed the hacker however I now can't get
 > perl/sybperl to work and all my wonderful systems can't
 > be used.

OK - first, grab the Sybase ASE-11.0.3.3 distribution from
www.redhat.com (or from CD3 of your redhat distribution). This
includes the 11.0.3.3 version of the Sybase SQL Server, and updated
versions of the OpenClient libraries (inclusive of DB-Library).

If you don't want to use Sybase::DBlib, skip to the "building sybperl"
section.

Grab the latest perl sources from www.perl.com. Unpack, and build
with

./Configure -ders -Dlibs="-lnsl -lgdbm -ldl -lm -lc -lposix -lcrypt"
make
make test

su root
make install

The reason this is necessary is that perl by default links with -ldb
and -lndbm, and this causes a conflict with Sybase's DB-Library.

Building Sybperl:

Start with a fresh copy of the 2.10 distribution.
Edit CONFIG
	Set DBLIBVS=0 *if* you've not installed a fresh copy of perl
	Set EXTRA_LIBS=-linsck
Edit PWD and set it so that you can connect to your server.
perl Makefile.PL
make
make test

You should now have a working sybperl. So make install and you should
be all done.