From: "Chris Jack" <jackc at rabo-bank dot com>
Subject: RE: I need a simple encryption subroutine, to encrypt/decrypt a string
Date: Feb 18 1999 3:39PM

I am not clear why you need encryption. Are you worried about some security
problem - if so what? What operating system are you using?

Is it the case that what you need is a mechanism whereby you invoke an
application with a password. Furthermore you do not want people to
eavesdrop upon that password. If so, how do believe people would do this in
your environment? If your problem is simply that you pass the password on
the command line and people can then do process listings to view it, there
are other mechanisms you could use to pass the password. For instance you
could invoke the Perl script as a pipe and pass the password on STDIN.

In a more general sense, it is easier to advise on a solution to a problem
if you give complete details of the problem rather than asking for advice
on implementing one possible solution.

Chrisj