From: Michael Peppler <mpeppler at MBAY dot NET>
Subject: SybPerl/Solaris2.5.1/NO OpenClient (?)
Date: Feb 17 1999 7:44PM

>>>>> "Luke" == Luke Stepniowski  writes:

Luke> I am working on a SPARC Solaris 2.5.1 machine, attempting to
Luke> access a SyBase via Perl into a web interface. (I think the
Luke> SyBase version is 11.0) I do not have OpenClient installed on
Luke> any of our machines, is there a workaround? Are there any other
Luke> solutions to accessing a SyBase DB via perl? What are my
Luke> options? Any help is appreciated.

If you have the isql binary you *could* write a wrapper that sends the
SQL code to isql and then reads the results. It'll be slow as
molasses, though.

There's no way to build sybperl (or DBD::Sybase) without OpenCLient on
the target machine....