From: "Sheree Hemphill" <sah18 at po dot cwru dot edu>
Subject: RE: Using sybperl with cgi
Date: Feb 16 1999 7:41PM

> Sheree> I did check the error log & it said the following:
> Sheree> [16/Feb/1999:13:54:29] failure (15929): for host
> Sheree> gene22797.GENE.CWRU.Edu trying to GET
> Sheree> /cgi-bin/sah18/biares3.cgi, cgieng_scan_headers reports: the
> Sheree> CGI program /var/www/htdocs/helix/cgi-bin/sah18/biares3.cgi
> Sheree> did not produce a valid header (name without value: got line
> Sheree> "use of uninitialized value at
> Sheree> /var/www/htdocs/helix/cgi-bin/sah18/biares3.cgi line 25.")
>
> I *hate* web servers that direct STDERR messages ("use of
> uninitialized value") to STDOUT and create this problem!

Is there a way to change this somehow in the web server configuration?  Or
is this just something I will have to live with?

> Short term solution: remove the -w from the !#/usr/local/bin/perl line
> at the top of your script.

> The warning comes from perl - there's (probably) a NULL value in your
> query result. When you print it out perl (with -w turned on) prints
> this warning.

This worked!  Yes, for some of the variables, some of the records do have
null values.  Is there a way to still get the warning messages -- to route
them to a file or something?

> One other thing that you should probably do is to turn off the
> buffering of STDOUT. Place this near the top of your script:
>
> select(STDOUT); $| = 1;

What does adding this line change (sorry for my newness at this)?