From: Michael Peppler <mpeppler at MBAY dot NET>
Subject: Using sybperl to automate 11.9.2 upgrade
Date: Feb 16 1999 5:32PM

>>>>> "John" == John Erjavec  writes:

John>      All- Has anyone had any experience using sybperl / perl to
John> automate the upgrade process?  I seem to be running into some
John> problems, using HP-UX 10.20, perl 5.005_02, and sybperl 2.09.
John> The problems seem to stem from the fact that when I run
John> sqlupgraderes, it shuts down the dataserver, and spawns a new
John> one.  I have tried using open(), qx[], and ``, but all hang
John> after the sqlupgrade process is finished.  There is a
John> process that is the child of my upgrade script, and the parent
John> (my upgrade script) does not want to continue.  Anybody run into
John> this?  Anyone have any suggestions on how to get around it?  Any
John> comments at all?  I've been trying things for a week, and still
John> no luck.  I need to get this figured out soon, so that I don't
John> let my part of the schedule slide.  Thanks for any help anyone
John> can give.

Care to show us the upgrade script? Or at least the relevant portion?

One suggestion would be to use system() to execute the sqlupgrade
process, and check the return code (as far as I can see this should
really work...) Or do you call open() to read the output of the
sqlupgrade process in the parent script? Maybe you need to call wait
to reap all the children that got spawned, and make sure that you're
not blocking on some input/output (possibly your in a parent/child
deadlock of some sort).