From: John_Erjavec at cargill dot com
Subject: Using sybperl to automate 11.9.2 upgrade
Date: Feb 16 1999 5:17PM

     All-

     Has anyone had any experience using sybperl / perl to automate the
     upgrade process?  I seem to be running into some problems, using
     HP-UX 10.20, perl 5.005_02, and sybperl 2.09.  The problems seem to
     stem from the fact that when I run sqlupgraderes, it shuts down the
     dataserver, and spawns a new one.  I have tried using open(), qx[],
     and ``, but all hang after the sqlupgrade process is finished.  There
     is a  process that is the child of my upgrade script, and
     the parent (my upgrade script) does not want to continue.  Anybody
     run into this?  Anyone have any suggestions on how to get around it?
     Any comments at all?  I've been trying things for a week, and still
     no luck.  I need to get this figured out soon, so that I don't let my
     part of the schedule slide.  Thanks for any help anyone can give.

     -JEV