From: Michael Peppler <mpeppler at MBAY dot NET>
Subject: RE: very basic db connection question
Date: Feb 10 1999 4:55PM

>>>>> "Sheree" == Sheree Hemphill  writes:

Sheree> thank you again for your help.  your examples help immensely.
Sheree> i did find the sybperl man page from your website & this looks
Sheree> helpful also.  are there additional sample programs to be
Sheree> found anywhere else?  i find examples seem to be the best way
Sheree> to learn when i'm just getting started.  sheree

There's some more info on my web page, though not a whole lot of
examples.

Michael

>> -----Original Message----- From: owner-SYBPERL-L@listproc.net

Sheree> this worked just fine for me!  one more question on this: i'm
Sheree> not quite clear as to the difference between ct_sql and
Sheree> ct_execute.  when would you use one over the other (ie, why
Sheree> couldn't the "use database" command be passed via ct_execute
Sheree> instead)?  thank you once again, sheree
>>  The ct_execute() call sends the SQL command to the server, but
>> does not fetch any results. You have to call ct_results() (in a
>> loop) and ct_fetch() (as in Frédéric's example).
>>
>> ct_sql() sends the SQL command to the server *and* retrieves all
>> the results. In my example I was ignoring any results because "use
>> database" doesn't return any.
>>
>> But if I was querying the database (using SELECT) I would do
>> something like this:
>>
>> $data = $dbh->ct_sql("select * from sysusers"); foreach $row
>> (@$data) { print "$$row[0] - $$row[3]\n"; }
>>
>> # Prints the suid and name of each user in the default database...
>>
>> This is documented in the sybperl man page, which is part of the
>> distribution, or is available on my web page.
>>
>> Hope this helps,
>>
>> Michael

Sheree> Hello.  I am new to Sybperl, and I would like to use CTlib to
Sheree> connect to a database.  I can only seem to find code examples
Sheree> which connect to the Master database, but none which show how
Sheree> to connect to a user-defined database.  Can someone give me an
Sheree> example of the syntax for this?