From: Michael Peppler <mpeppler at peppler dot org>
Subject: Re: Installation Problems
Date: Dec 16 1999 4:55PM

Joe Follansbee writes:
 > Hi,
 >
 > I'm a new subscriber to this list, so forgive me if the question's been
 > asked a billion times. I'm trying to install sybperl on my linux box and
 > can't get make to work. Each time I run it, I get a series of errors
 > similar to
 >
 > /usr/sybase/lib/libintl.a(intiocs.o)(.test+0x32b): undefine reference to
 > 'free'
 >
 > with the final lines
 >
 > make[1]: *** [.././blib/arch/auto/Sybase/CTlib/CTlib.so] Error 1
 > make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/follansb/perl/sybase/sybperl-2.07/CTlib'
 > make: *** [subdirs] Error 2
 >
 > I've checked the FAQ and searched this lists archives to no avail. I'm
 > running RedHat 5.1 and perl 5.004_04. I'm not sure of the version of sybase
 > client libraries, etc installed on my machine; the Sybase guru here did
 > that for me. Here's the sybperl config file:

OK - I think you have have several problems.

First you are using very outdated Sybase libs, and they probably are
the root cause for your troubles.

Go to http://linux.sybase.com and download either the 11.9.2 / 11.1.1
libraries, or the 11.0.3.3 release (the latter is free!)

Install it, and you should be doing a lot better.

Then, I suggest getting sybperl 2.11, and reading the various FAQs off
of my web page.