From: Joe Follansbee <follansb at real dot com>
Subject: Installation Problems
Date: Dec 16 1999 12:23AM

Hi,

I'm a new subscriber to this list, so forgive me if the question's been
asked a billion times. I'm trying to install sybperl on my linux box and
can't get make to work. Each time I run it, I get a series of errors
similar to

/usr/sybase/lib/libintl.a(intiocs.o)(.test+0x32b): undefine reference to
'free'

with the final lines

make[1]: *** [.././blib/arch/auto/Sybase/CTlib/CTlib.so] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/follansb/perl/sybase/sybperl-2.07/CTlib'
make: *** [subdirs] Error 2

I've checked the FAQ and searched this lists archives to no avail. I'm
running RedHat 5.1 and perl 5.004_04. I'm not sure of the version of sybase
client libraries, etc installed on my machine; the Sybase guru here did
that for me. Here's the sybperl config file:

#
# Configuration file for Sybperl
#
# DBlibrary version. Set to 1000 (or higher) if you have System 10
# Set to 0 if you do not want to build DBlib or if DBlib is not available
# (Linux, for example)
DBLIBVS=0

# CTlib version. Set to 0 if Client Library is not available on your
# system, or if you don't want to build the CTlib module. The Client
# Library started shipping with System 10.
# Note that the CTlib module is still under construction, though the
# core API should be stable now.
# Set to 100 if you have System 10.
CTLIBVS=100

# Where is the Sybase directory on your system (include files &
# libraries are expected to be found at SYBASE/include & SYBASE/lib
SYBASE=/usr/sybase

# Additional libraries.
# Some systems require -lnsl or -lBSD.
# Solaris 2.x needs -ltli
# DEC OSF/1 needs -ldnet_stub
# See the Sybase OpenClient Supplement for your OS/Hardware
# combination.
EXTRA_LIBS=-linsck

# Additional #defines.
# With Perl 5.001m, you will need -DUNDEF_BUG.
# With Perl 5.002, none are normally needed, but you may wish to
# use -DDO_TIE to get the benefit of stricter checking on the
# Sybase::DBlib and Sybase::CTlib attributes.
#EXTRA_DEFS=-DUNDEF_BUG
EXTRA_DEFS=-DDO_TIE

# LINKTYPE
# If you wish to link Sybase::DBlib and/or Sybase::CTlib statically
# into perl uncomment the line below and run the make normally. Then,
# when you run 'make test' a new perl binary will be built.
#LINKTYPE=static

I had similar problems installing DBD-Sybase.

Any help is appreciated.

Joe Follansbee
Operations Manager, Media Publishing
RealNetworks
Joe Follansbee		RealNetworks
Operations Manager		2601 Elliott Ave
Media Publishing		Seattle, WA 98121
follansb@real.com		Voice: 206-674-2349
pagefollansb@real.com	Page:  877-499-0928
"Remember Great Caesar, thou art mortal."
	- A slave beside Caesar, as he parades in triumph